The federal government purchased the five-acre Burnt Island for $150 from Jacob Auld and Joseph McCobb. Located at the entrance to Boothbay Harbor, Burnt Island Lighthouse is Maine’s oldest “original” tower because it has never been altered since its construction in 1821. The lighthouse is made from rough cut granite and is referred to as rubblestone. It is believed that the granite blocks were harvested from the cellar hole under the keeper’s dwelling, a common practice instead of hauling building materials ashore. Even though it has withstood the test-of-time, a full restoration of the lighthouse, dwelling, and work-shed took place in 2021 in time for it’s Bicentennial Anniversary. A full report of the restoration process is available at the link below.