Hendricks Head Lighthouse


Historic Information In the early 1800s, mariners involved in fishing and maritime trade were in need of a navigational aid to guide them safely in and out of the Sheepscot River. This commercially important waterway was their vital link between the Gulf of Maine and the inland port of Wiscasset, a town recognized at that time to be the busiest seaport north of Boston. Just fifteen miles upriver, a deep and sheltered harbor formed the hub of a prosperous trade center renowned for shipbuilding, lumber, and fish. Rough seas, frequent fog, and submerged ledges posed tremendous threats to [...]

Hendricks Head Lighthouse2023-05-29T15:43:00-04:00

Wood Island Life Saving Station


Historic Information The Wood Island Life Saving Station built in 1908 housed brave “surfmen”, that were part of the US Life Saving Service (a forerunner of the US Coast Guard). They would wait with small rowing boats to go out to help mariners in distress in terrible conditions year round. In 2022, the nonprofit Wood Island Life Saving Station Association (WILSSA) took on the enormous task of rebuilding and accurately restoring the partially collapsed buildings. Learn about the history of the Wood Island Life Saving Station and about about the mission and accomplishments of a dedicated group of [...]

Wood Island Life Saving Station2023-02-14T17:32:39-05:00

Ram Island Lighthouse


Historic Information For centuries, sheep were raised on uninhabited islands where they could roam freely without fencing and predators.  After breeding season, the Ram Island was likely used to segregate male sheep from the ewes on neighboring Fisherman's Island, a mere 165 feet away. These two islands, and nearby Hypocrites ledges, were navigational hazards for vessels entering the easterly passage into Boothbay Harbor. Protests from local fishermen and ship captains resulted in the federal government purchasing Ram Island in 1837 for $195. However, construction of the lighthouse never took place until 1883 when President Chester A. Arthur approved [...]

Ram Island Lighthouse2023-02-04T12:50:32-05:00

Burnt Island Lighthouse


Historic Information The federal government purchased the five-acre Burnt Island for $150 from Jacob Auld and Joseph McCobb. Located at the entrance to Boothbay Harbor, Burnt Island Lighthouse is Maine's oldest "original" tower because it has never been altered since its construction in 1821. The lighthouse is made from rough cut granite and is referred to as rubblestone. It is believed that the granite blocks were harvested from the cellar hole under the keeper's dwelling, a common practice instead of hauling building materials ashore. Even though it has withstood the test-of-time, a full restoration of the lighthouse, dwelling, [...]

Burnt Island Lighthouse2023-01-24T17:03:54-05:00

What’s Happening?


What's Happening in these Photos? Using historic photographs of lighthouse keepers, describe what they are doing. Form an overall impression and then examine individual items by dividing the photo into quadrants. What new details become visible of people, objects, and activities? What questions does this photograph raise in your mind? Where could you find answers to them? Download

What’s Happening?2023-08-23T07:56:23-04:00

Cuckolds Lighthouse


Historic Information At the outer entrance to Boothbay Harbor, passing the two small islets known the Cuckolds was a dreaded experience for mariners at night and in foggy conditions. In 1874, the construction of a black tripod on the southern end of the eastern rock served only as a day-marker. After mariners filed numerous petitions, Congress appropriated $25,000 on March 3, 1891 for the construction of a fog-signal station at this dangerous site - located off Southport's Cape Newagen. In the photograph, the trumpet seen exiting the roof warned vessels of their approach to the Cuckolds. On November [...]

Cuckolds Lighthouse2022-12-29T18:20:12-05:00


Go to Top